After dry skin body brushing, perform this self-massage, which nourishes the tissues, improves circulation and increases body awareness.
Dispense your favorite Aveda Composition or massage oil into a two-ounce applicator bottle.
Full-Body Abhyanga Self-Massage (5–10 minutes)
• Apply the Composition directly to your scalp. Using the palms of your hands (not the fingertips), vigorously massage the oil into the scalp using small, circular, shampoo-like motions.
• Move your hands to the face and ears, massaging more gently. Gently massage the temples and backs of the ears.
• Apply more oil to your hands, and massage the neck and shoulders from front to back using the palms of your hands.
• Vigorously massage the arms using circular motions on the shoulders, elbows and wrists and long, back-and forth motions on the long bones in between the joints.
• Move your hands to the trunk. Using less vigorous, large, circular motions, massage the chest, stomach and lower abdomen in a clockwise direction. Use up-and-down motions over the breastbone.
• Apply more oil to your hands, reach them around your body without straining and massage the back and spine.
• Vigorously massage the legs with circular motions on the joints and back-and-forth motions on the long bones in between the joints.
• Apply any remaining oil to your hands, and vigorously massage the feet.
Mini Abhyanga Self-Massage (1–2 minutes)
The Full-Body Abhyanga Self-Massage is the most beneficial practice, but if you are short on time, performing a short massage is better than performing no massage at all. The most important body parts to focus on are your head and feet, which can be massaged while sitting on the edge of the bathtub.
• Apply one tablespoon of AVEDA Composition or massage oil directly to your scalp. Using the palms of your hands (not the fingertips), massage the oil into the scalp using small, circular, shampoo-like motions.
• Massage the forehead with side-to-side motions using your palms.
• Gently massage the temples, ears and area around the ears using circular motions.
• Massage the front and back of the neck.
• Apply another tablespoon of oil to your hands, and massage both feet using the palms of your hands.
Massage the oil around and in between the toes using your fingers. Vigorously massage the soles of the feet with back-and-forth motions using your palms.
• Sit quietly for a few moments to relax, and allow the oil to soak in. Bathe normally.